Architecture - Planning - Illustration

Monday, March 19, 2018



John Moseley
75 South Street


Phone: 01308 424239

Mobile: 07879 627935





Public Housing



A scheme for six affordable homes in a small West Dorset village. Contrasting brick and rendered elevations, chimneys and careful attention to the materials and details allowed the development to quickly settle in its rural location. Parking was sited away from the road to provide deep front gardens. An old hedgerow beside the road was retained and layered after the houses were completed.



The old church house, dating from 1925, consisted of an enormous double height hall and stage with ancillary extensions to the side and rear. While the hall was used quite regularly other areas were redundant and the Dioceses of Salisbury approached the local housing association for proposals for residential use. As a result six flats were constructed, four within the roof void of the main hall, while the hall itself was retained for use by the community. All the communal facilities were renewed and additional storage facilities included in the design.  Entrance to the new flats was formed using an existing doorway, with it's original oak door. The flats within the roof were lit entirely by skylights, being the only visible indication of the conversion, to protect the character of the old building within it's churchyard setting



 This split-level site in Portland was occupied by an old telephone exchange building to the rear with a row of concrete garages on higher ground fronting onto the road. The design for three family houses, clad in Portland stone and rendered block work, was constructed using a steel-frame system, the first use of framing techniques for the housing-association client. The development was awarded a civic commendation.